Natalie Clark, FosterClub Young Leader from Utah
Tecoria Jones, Birth Parent National Network Member from South Carolina
Christine Benslimen, GRAND Voices Network Member from Pennsylvania
Family Voices United is a campaign dedicated to ensuring the voices of those with firsthand experience are heard across the child welfare system. We bring together the voices of young people, birth parents, and relative caregivers - so we can inform other folks in the child welfare field including policymakers and other stakeholders.
As the many states in the United States consider reopening schools whether in person or continue in remote learning (or somewhere in between), planning for reopening is an opportunity to re-examine, transform, and improve our education system to center our most vulnerable families and students. The voices of kinship caregivers, birth parents, current and former foster youth will provide insight to Policymakers and administrators on their needs, strategies, and supports needed to reopen to prioritize the social, mental, physical safety during the reopening process. Want to learn more about resources and support? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Resources & Events mentioned on the podcast:
- Youth Voices During COVID- hear from current and former foster youth from Oregon and Minnesota on the impacts of COVID-19 their lives, supports they need and how they remain resilient.
- Learn How ILP Are Helping Young People from care During The COVID-19 Crisis.
- Read Bipartisan Bill Introduced to Help Young People from Foster Care Endure Effects of COVID-19 Crisis: the Supporting Foster Youth and Families through the Pandemic Act by Danny Davis (D-IL) and Ranking Member Jackie Walorski (R-IN).
Birth Parent National Network's Opportunities:
- The Birth Parent National Network is hosting weekly caring conversations for the opportunity for families to come together and share experiences, successes, and concerns. Register HERE for the next Caring Conversation
- Visit Children's Trust Fund Alliance Parent Voice Page for tools and resources for parents on how hosting weekly caring conversations grounded in the Protective Factors Can Help Navigate the COVID-19 Crisis.
- New Resource: The Birth and Foster Parent Partnership: A Relationship Building Guide and the Birth and Foster Parent Partnership.
- View parent-to-parent resources through the BPNN for policy updates, resources from past events, and consistent conversations.
- Read Generations United racial equity resources for African Americans and Native American Grandfamilies improve culturally-appropriate supports and services.
- Coming Soon: Annual Grandfamilies report on grandfamilies and COVID-19 September 2020.
- COVID-19 factsheet for grandfamilies with tips on staying healthy, informed and practicing self-care during COVID-19 now includes educational resources!
Family Voices United