Listen as Family Voices United members share self-care lessons and practices. Learn how constituents are taking surviving, prioritizing self-care, and supporting eachother during a crisis. Click here to listen!
VicTOR Sims, FosterClub Young Leader & NPCC Member from Florida
Magdalena Andreozzi, GRAND Voices Network Member and founder of GrandsFlourish from Rhode Island
Denise Moore, Birth Parent National Network Member from Iowa
Family Voices United is a campaign dedicated to ensuring the voices of those with firsthand experience are heard across the child welfare system. We bring together the voices of young people, birth parents, and relative caregivers - so we can inform other folks in the child welfare field including policymakers and other stakeholders.
The impacts of COVID-19 and racial injustices happening right now around the world makes self-care for families more essential than ever. Parents and relatives have been asked to really change their traditional routines and find ways to care, teach, and support their kids during a crisis. Right now, families are experiencing an overwhelming increase in pressure, we are hopeful the powerful voices of constituents will provide support and demonstrate how important prioritizing self-care to keep you and your family mentally, emotionally and physically well.
Resources & Events mentioned on the podcast:
- Generations United’s Statement Condemning Racism
- Elevating and Strengthening African American and Native American Grandfamilies racial equity resource.
- Coming Soon: Generations United will be releasing a toolkit in July featuring grandfamilies-related content on the racism, bias, and injustice in the juvenile justice system, policing and courts.
- COVID-19 factsheet for grandfamilies with tips on staying healthy, informed and practicing self-care during COVID-19.
- Advocacy toolkit and take action tool for grandfamilies to advocate in their communities as congress is deciding CARES act funding
Birth Parent National Network's Opportunities:
- Calling All Birth Parents: The Birth Parent National Network is recruiting for new members (view the flyer which includes 2020 events)
- The birth parent national network is hosting weekly caring conversations for the opportunity for families to come together and share experiences, successes, and concerns. Register HERE for the next Caring Conversation
- Click Here to download past webinars hosted by the BPNN. Click Here to Download Materials from the Webinar.
- Tool for parents on how the Protective Factors Can Help Navigate the COVID-19 Crisis
- View parent-to-parent resources through the BPNN Parent voice page.
- Take action and participate in the BPNN Protective Factors Social Media Campaign to promote resilience and self-care.
- Youth Voices During COVID- a voice from each state on the impacts and experiences of COVID-19.
- Read How ILP Are Helping Young People from care During The COVID-19 Crisis
- National Foster Care Youth & Alumni Policy Council's: A Historic Opportunity to Reform the Child Welfare System: Youth & Alumni Priorities on Quality Residential Services webinar on June 25th, register here.
Want to get involved? Share your perspective at www.familyvoicesunited.org